Veterans Affairs, Administrations, and Outreach Centers

Questions Regarding VA Benefits and/or Claims

Answers to questions regarding VA benefits in general or a veteran's specific questions about their own claim may be obtained by dialing 1-800-827-1000. This number will put you in contact with a Veterans Benefits Counselor at the VA Regional Office having jurisdiction over your claim.

For example: a veteran calling the 800 number in Nebraska would reach a counselor in Lincoln, Nebraska, while a veteran calling that 800 number in Florida would reach a counselor in St. Petersburg, Forida.

Veterans Outreach Centers

The VA maintains Veterans Outreach Centers at various locations throughout the country. These centers maintain job placement centers, social readjustment counseling, PTSD recovery, and should be able to provide a gateway to related VA programs and possibly other non-VA programs.

It's probably worth mentioning, however, that these are not intervention efforts. The individual must be willing to at least stop by (or be brought by) for a visit. A few of us have been able to get some of the homeless Vets into these centers, and some real miracles were worked here.

There are two of these centers in the DC/MD/North VA area. I assume (hope) that any VA office would be able to put you in contact with this type of center in your area.

Basically, all that is required for entry is a copy of the Vet's DD214; and, if that's not available as it probably isn't in the case of some of the Vets, then the Center can get a copy for them.

Access for the Handicapped When Traveling

Ann Kelsey

Revised 05-04-98 by DGS