- My name is Dave Wright. I was with the Army, 1st Division, 1/26th infantry regiment.
- I felt overwhelmed by all I didn't know. Basic and advanced infantry training never put us in a situation where people were really trying to kill us. The country, the climate, the people, their customs and culture, the heat, humidity, the jungle, bugs, snakes, and the endless hiding places from which we could be ambushed were totally unfamilier. Everyone new in country was an FNG and were avoided because they were dangerous to be around. If they lived through a fire fight or two, they were more accepted.
Another new kid and I went into the jungle with our assigned company on the same day. He was given the job of walking point (first man leading the column) and I was to walk right flank (about 50 out side the main body walking parallel with the company). He was killed before lunch, I survived with a piece of shrapnel that stopped in one of my canteens. That evening I wondered how I would ever make it, I stlll had over 350 days to go on my tour.
- I was afraid even as our plan lifted off from Vietnam that the VC might shoot an RPG or missle to knock us out of the sky. Flying home, I wondered how I was going to live a normal life with all the mental baggage coming home with me. But it was a huge relief to be out of the immediate dangers of combat.
- Looking back, there are many memories of kids who fought with me that didn't make it home. It seemed such a waste when we pulled out of Vietnam.
- War and politics have different goals. War is used to subdue and enemy and force them to do what you want. Politics tries to find a compromise solution that all participants can live with. Mixing the two together gets real confusing, especially for the soldiers on the ground trying to impliment policies that sound OK but don't work.
Unfortunately wars are part of our human nature. There will always be those individuals or nations who will take what they want from others until they are stopped by force. There will be those who will stand up and fight for what is right and others who will take advantage of both sides for their own benefit. Human hearts only change one at a time and never in mass, simutaniously, until the return of Jesus Christ. Seek all that right and just now - don't wait until there's no choice left for you.
- We got mail, newpapers, tapes, radio news. We knew about the protestors. I thought they were uninformed idealists who were being used by those who hated our country and wanted to do as much political damage as they could.
Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:10 am.