Questions from Students and Others

History of the Vietnam War 101
Forum rules
Keep it clean!

Re: Questions from Students and Others

Postby bill » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:03 am

thanks rob.

that forum layout looks good. i may change over to that. still looking at a few others

bill
bill
Site Admin

Re: From a student at Camp Lejeune

Postby bill » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:07 am

A student sent this in. Please respond.

Sir,

If I could have these questions answered no later than Dec 3rd. My project is due on Dec 7th. These questions are required by the teacher.

1) basic information
Name:

Current occupation:
Battle(s) you were involved in:
Beginning and ending dates of the war:

2) why did the U.S fight the war?
3) How did you feel about te war at the time?
4) do you think that America should be praised or condemed for it's involvement in the war? And Why?
5) what is your opinion about Operation Iraqi Freedom?
5) how is Operation Iraqi Freedom different from Vietnam?
6) how is Operation Iraqi Freedom the same?
7) how did the Vietnam war impact you?
8) would you have any pictures you are willing to share?
If so, please briefly explain each one.

Thanks again

C/1st.Lt. Jarett Vogler
C.O. MCJROTC
Camp Lejeune, NC
bill
Site Admin

Postby Charissa » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:24 pm

Hi all,

I didn't get a registration email and figured it wasn't up yet; hopefully I'm doing the right thing by posting this way. (If I am not apologies. I also tried looking through the older forum posts but the page wouldn't display so I hope I am not reposting questions.)

I assume as a writer and student in history that I'd post here. Currently I am trying to write a novel, featuring a character who is a Huey pilot during the Vietnam war. However, information seems to be hard to find as I am not so hot at googling and a lot of things dead end. I have no one to ask in person as all of the Vietnam vets in my family were killed in the war or were in the USMC and only occasionally met pilots.

If I may ask more than one at a time, they are posted below.

Thank you for any and all help!
Charissa :)

1. What is the maximum about of tours of duty that a man could have? I heard the average was 1-3, 3 certainly hasn't been surpassed in my family, but would it be possible to do more? Were there limits and was it possible say, if someone wanted to fight for the duration of the war that they would be able to? Is there any way that one could "re-enlist"?I want him to be in it for as long as possible.

2. I've encountered conflicting resources on this... Did your average Huey pilot simply do transport and pilot 'slicks'? Did only Cobra pilots do combat? I guess what I am asking is this, do you have to be a specific thing to do rescues, transport, and combat, or did a Huey pilot engage in all of those at some point in time? I'd like him to experience the different sides that came with being a pilot.

3. There are so many different battalions/regiments and so on. I am not sure what exactly he would be in, (I have read Marines etc had pilots as well.) so I am wondering if anyone can help me in deciding what he should be attached to.
Charissa

Postby bill » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:32 am

hi charissa,

have you read "chickenhawk" by robert mason? it is probably the best known of the vietnam era "huey" novels.

you might try contacting jim "polecat" schueckler at FlewHuey@FrontierNet.net. he can probably answer most of your questions if you don't get a response here.

bill
bill
Site Admin

Postby Charissa » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:10 pm

Hello Bill,

I actually am saving up for "Chickenhawk," I have heard the same novel mentioned many times!

Thank you for the reference, that was very kind of you. I'm sure if I don't get the specific answers I need here I'll still learn something of value and hope to still use the forums beyond this one question.

Thank you so much for your advice! :)
Charissa
Charissa

Postby Chuck Gutzman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Charissa wrote:Hello Bill,

I actually am saving up for "Chickenhawk," I have heard the same novel mentioned many times!

Thank you for the reference, that was very kind of you. I'm sure if I don't get the specific answers I need here I'll still learn something of value and hope to still use the forums beyond this one question.

Thank you so much for your advice! :)
Charissa

Hi Charissa: Chickenhawk is a good book. If you wish to get a full range of the Huey pilot's activities you might read the three volume set by Mathew Brennan who served in the 1/9th Cav of the 1st Cav Division. They are: "Brennan's War, "Headhunters" and "Hunter Killer Squadron". Then you can top it off by reading the volume detailing Mike Novosel's exploits that ended with his being awarded the Medal of Honor. His book is titled "Dustoff" and covers the medevac Hueys.

Chuck
Chuck Gutzman

Postby Chuck Gutzman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:03 pm

Charissa wrote:Hi all,

I didn't get a registration email and figured it wasn't up yet; hopefully I'm doing the right thing by posting this way. (If I am not apologies. I also tried looking through the older forum posts but the page wouldn't display so I hope I am not reposting questions.)

I assume as a writer and student in history that I'd post here. Currently I am trying to write a novel, featuring a character who is a Huey pilot during the Vietnam war. However, information seems to be hard to find as I am not so hot at googling and a lot of things dead end. I have no one to ask in person as all of the Vietnam vets in my family were killed in the war or were in the USMC and only occasionally met pilots.

If I may ask more than one at a time, they are posted below.

Thank you for any and all help!
Charissa :)

1. What is the maximum about of tours of duty that a man could have? I heard the average was 1-3, 3 certainly hasn't been surpassed in my family, but would it be possible to do more? Were there limits and was it possible say, if someone wanted to fight for the duration of the war that they would be able to? Is there any way that one could "re-enlist"?I want him to be in it for as long as possible.

2. I've encountered conflicting resources on this... Did your average Huey pilot simply do transport and pilot 'slicks'? Did only Cobra pilots do combat? I guess what I am asking is this, do you have to be a specific thing to do rescues, transport, and combat, or did a Huey pilot engage in all of those at some point in time? I'd like him to experience the different sides that came with being a pilot.

3. There are so many different battalions/regiments and so on. I am not sure what exactly he would be in, (I have read Marines etc had pilots as well.) so I am wondering if anyone can help me in deciding what he should be attached to.

Hi Charissa: (1) There were a number of us that had at least 4, and the most I am aware of was Major Monte Baugh who had 7. (All as a grunt.) He did it through multiple voluntary extensions. Finally the Army made him come home to attend the Command and General Staff College, but he finagled his way back to the war as soon as he finished the course. He spent the bulk of his time In Quang Ngai Province in I Corps, and a lot of it at a place called Duc Pho.

(2) It is true that most Huey pilots flew "slicks". However, there were more Huey Gunships than there were Cobras. The Cobra came later in the war. Nearly every model of the Huey that flew in Vietnam had a gunship version. I got pulled out of a pretty nasty place in the Plei Trap Valley in II Corps once by a "B" Model Huey gunship. Problem with the "B" model though was that it was woefully underpowered and when it was fully loaded and it was hot a door gunner or the crew chief sometimes had to run alongside for a short ways so that it could build up some transitional lift to get off the ground. The later models all had sufficient power. For a look at a door gunner read Xin Loi Vietnam. It was written by a friend of mine named Al Sever and is an excellent book. (I'm a bit prejudiced here.) As to your Huey pilot doing rescues - it was nearly always a slick of one kind or another that picked you up on an extract while the gunbirds kept the bad guys busy.

(3) The 1/9 Cav was a reconnaissance squadron in the 1st Cavalry Division and had one of the best records of the war, as well as having all of the helicopter types you would be interested in. Not a bad choice. The "Black Cats" of the 282nd Aviation Company in Danang were a good bunch too. (They flew HUeys). In reality, you need to pick "where" in Vietnam, then which aviation unit kind of falls into place. That's one of the reasons I'd use the 1st of the 9th or one of the 1st Cav companies. They served virtually all over Vietnam and into Cambodia. If you want to put him in the Navy go with the Sea Wolves. The Marines had a lot of choppers, but very few Hueys.

Good luck with your project.

Chuck
Chuck Gutzman

Postby bill » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:09 pm

charissa,

you might want to read mike austin's stories too:

http://www.vietvet.org/bg23.htm

bill
bill
Site Admin

Postby Charissa » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:49 am

Chuck Gutzman wrote:
Hi Charissa: (1) There were a number of us that had at least 4, and the most I am aware of was Major Monte Baugh who had 7. (All as a grunt.) He did it through multiple voluntary extensions. Finally the Army made him come home to attend the Command and General Staff College, but he finagled his way back to the war as soon as he finished the course. He spent the bulk of his time In Quang Ngai Province in I Corps, and a lot of it at a place called Duc Pho.

(2) It is true that most Huey pilots flew "slicks". However, there were more Huey Gunships than there were Cobras. The Cobra came later in the war. Nearly every model of the Huey that flew in Vietnam had a gunship version. I got pulled out of a pretty nasty place in the Plei Trap Valley in II Corps once by a "B" Model Huey gunship. Problem with the "B" model though was that it was woefully underpowered and when it was fully loaded and it was hot a door gunner or the crew chief sometimes had to run alongside for a short ways so that it could build up some transitional lift to get off the ground. The later models all had sufficient power. For a look at a door gunner read Xin Loi Vietnam. It was written by a friend of mine named Al Sever and is an excellent book. (I'm a bit prejudiced here.) As to your Huey pilot doing rescues - it was nearly always a slick of one kind or another that picked you up on an extract while the gunbirds kept the bad guys busy.

(3) The 1/9 Cav was a reconnaissance squadron in the 1st Cavalry Division and had one of the best records of the war, as well as having all of the helicopter types you would be interested in. Not a bad choice. The "Black Cats" of the 282nd Aviation Company in Danang were a good bunch too. (They flew HUeys). In reality, you need to pick "where" in Vietnam, then which aviation unit kind of falls into place. That's one of the reasons I'd use the 1st of the 9th or one of the 1st Cav companies. They served virtually all over Vietnam and into Cambodia. If you want to put him in the Navy go with the Sea Wolves. The Marines had a lot of choppers, but very few Hueys.

Good luck with your project.

Chuck

1. That's great to know! It really helps me get a sense of everything - I feel a little insecure about if I am keeping it as accurate as possible. I was nervous to narrow it down without getting the full say direct from the source!

2. Thanks so much for the clarification. A lot of the information wasn't specific enough,and I'm really concerned with getting it right. I'm sure the book is great and I will add it to my list immediately, which will be my first purchases when I get spending money.

3. I'll definitely check those out, your recommendation is really great. So far I am leaning towards the 1/9 Cavalry for the reasons you specified. It gives me a lot of flexibility, especially because I had no specific region in mind. I'm somewhat interested in Quang Tri due to family serving there, but I really have no requirements for having it in the book. So it's good to know that there is a group that I can have him be a part of that allows some shall we say, mobility.

Hopefully your answers will put me on
the right track and sort out all of my questions. I really appreciate your reply and the thoughtfulness you put into taking the time out to help me. I hope when I'm finished that the work put in by myself and those that helped me will show and that those who served will approve.

Sincerely,
Charissa
Charissa

Postby Charissa » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:58 am

bill wrote:charissa,

you might want to read mike austin's stories too:

http://www.vietvet.org/bg23.htm

bill

Thank you! From what I've read thus far, it seems to be a really good account with a lot of vivid detail. I'm interested in the whole book in fact, thanks to the forum I've got quite a few accounts and books that I feel like I can safely rely on. Thanks again. This forum has been invaluable :).

Sincerely,
Charissa
Charissa

PreviousNext

Return to History of the Vietnam War 101